Tuesday 11 August 2015

To Prime or not to Prime?



I feel like primers are the Kanye Wests of the makeup world... you either love them or hate them. I for one, love primers (as you can probably tell!) they are super helpful in increasing the staying power of foundations and eye shadow, there are many different types of primers which do many different things, so I thought I'd run through some of my most used ones. 

Urban Decay Primer Potion:
This; as many of you will know, is my go-to eye product. It makes eyeshadow last for 24 hours, and yes I hate to admit that I have tried and tested that many times. The amount of primer that they give you lasts at the least 6 months, so its super affordable and gives eyeshadows amazing staying power. 5 stars from me!

Benefit Porefessional:
This was released quite a while back and some people rave about it, others not so much. I wouldn't say its my favourite to wear under foundation, I prefer to wear this on its own with a bit of concealer on good skin days as it gives the skin a softer, silky feel but I don't notice too much of a difference under foundation if I'm being super honest. But overall, its a really nice primer which gives the skin a really nice feel to it.

Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer:
Again, this primer isn't on the cheaper end of the spectrum, but it gives a really nice feel to the skin before applying foundation. I feel like this is a similar formula (without the colouring) to Porefessional, as it is quite a thick consistency but it leaves the skin feeling almost silky. The other bonus is that a little goes a long way, so although it is more pricey it will last a considerable amount of time. This primer I would apply directly onto my skin before applying foundation, and I would say it gives a nice finish to the skin.

L'Oreal Lumi Magique Primer:
This is a drugstore primer, so much better for someone on a budget. It is more of a liquid primer, so works a lot better if you mix it into the foundation on the back of your hand. Its a sort of pearly, shimmery colour so it gives you a really nice, natural glow. I rate this primer very highly, it has lasted me a good few months and really helps to keep my foundation and concealer on all day, so I would definitely recommend this one.

No7 Airbrush Away Primer:
I have to say, this is my favourite skincare primer to use, it is almost the texture of a moisturiser, and similar to the L'Oreal one, works best mixed into foundation prior to application. It is really smooth to apply and keeps my foundation looking fresh all day. It is very expensive for a drug store product, so I wouldn't say its for someone on a budget but definitely worth trying out. I have been lucky enough to be sent the few that I have used but I will definitely be repurchasing when they run out!

No comments:

Post a Comment