Friday 25 January 2019

Current Crime TV Shows.

Someone said to 'write the blog you'd love to read' and I thought to hell with it, I will write a post on crime television. I honestly I love my crime dramas, thrillers, documentaries you name it. Don't get me wrong I am not a criminal myself ( do not know why I felt the need to clarify this), although I think I did terrify the girl sat next to me in lectures today when I was discussing a creepy case with my friends. Seeing as January is the perfect time to binge watch series and there has been some super good tv on recently I thought I would share a brief round up of some of my favourite crime thrillers/documentaries that have been on recently.

Luther - Series 5 
I imagine many people will agree with me in saying that Idris Elba is an absolute God. There is something so sexy about the character of Luther but that is absolutely not the point of this review! Luther is an action filled, completely dramatised cop show which is absolutely not realistic in the slightest - but sometimes you just need a bit of that. The crimes are so gruesome it really is not one for the faint hearted, they do not hold back with the gore. It is a 'scream at the tv' kind of show. 

This most recent season has made me never want to go on a bus at night, sell anything on eBay or ever get any more surgery to be honest but that sounds like half the country after the last episode! 

Also, did anyone else notice they used the same warehouse in Luther and Silent Witness?! BBC must have had a good deal on it over summer! 

8/10 

Where to find: BBC iPlayer

Manhunt 
Now Manhunt was a really interesting one actually and got a lot of praise for its likeness to reality which is not commonly shown in shows like Silent Witness or Luther. There was no epic gun chases or crazy quick arrests but actually I did not miss that. It was based on the true story of the serial killer Levi Bellfield in Surrey, England and followed the intense police inquiry that led to his arrest. It was so so sad to watch knowing it was based on a true story and was also really interesting being able to see the reaction of the actual detective who was involved in cracking the case on twitter. You can find him @colinsutton on twitter. 

Not-so-fun-fact: my dad had to do a hearing test on the farm the day after they found one of the bodies - how scary :( 

9/10

Where to find: ITV player

Silent Witness - Series 22
Maybe I am biased but I do love my 'old lady' crime dramas. My ideal evening has become watching SW every Monday and Tuesday with a cup of tea and some chocolate - call me old and boring but it makes me happy. Silent Witness has been an old favourite since I can remember, how they have come up with so many different story lines is beyond me, but every series I am more and more impressed and become even more invested in the characters - basically I would like to work in the Lyle Centre. 

It is essentially a drama based show following a group of forensic scientists who help to solve the crime, one crime is spanned over two episodes. I think I like how 'sciencey' they make it sound but I just absolutely love it and I don't know what more I can say! 

9/10

Where to find: Ongoing/iPlayer 

Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes 
Okay so, I binge watched this today (student benefits) and it really documents the insanity and depravity of Bundy's crimes. The sheer number of victims and the complete lack of remorse and cunning game playing was just shocking. BUT I would not say I couldn't watch it alone at night which is what is apparently being warned (and I am a complete wimp - ask anyone who has had to endure a horror movie with me). It seemed more fact based and explanatory than sensationalising it all - if that makes sense?

Joe Berlinger, the director also has another Bundy related project out this year with Zac Efron called Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile which is much more of a drama adaptation of his life with his long term girlfriend - which will be interesting to watch also. Not sure how I feel about Zac Efron being a serial killer... I still fancy him as Phillip Carlyle in The Greatest Showman. 

7/10

Where to find: Netflix 

Abducted in Plain Sight 
Wild. Wild is the only word I can think of to describe this program. It is essentially a feature length documentary about a case where a close family friend abducts the child and it escalates further and further. I can not say too much without giving it away and I honestly think you need to watch it to get the full shock factor but essentially every time I thought the story had peaked insane, it just escalated even more. My jaw hit the floor too many times to count and I was literally screaming at the tv. 

Being just an hour and a half long means its an easy one to binge after a day at work or on a rainy weekend without too much commitment and the interviews with the real people make it so much more intriguing and just shocking. 

8/10 

Where to find: Netflix 

Hidden 
Hidden is a drama-style welsh television series based on the abductions and killings of a series of young girls and the story pans out across eight episodes. I liked the way the story was very mysterious, but it was very slow to get into and was one where they bring in like a thousand characters and then it all begins to link together half way though * a thousand is a slight exaggeration obvs*. Honestly, if you can get through the sections of welsh and subtitles then it is a fab little series, but being partly in welsh it does require a lot more concentration - so perhaps not one to watch if you are tired and want an easy watch. Also, if you have seen it... HOW CREEPY IS THE KILLER PLEASE?!??!??! 

6/10

Where to find: BBC iPlayer 

If there are any other crime television fanatics out there who would love to recommend me more programs I can watch or who just want to join the discussion in the comments about how insane Abducted in Plain Sight is then PLEASE DO :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment