Friday, 24 June 2016

LIFE: In or Out?



Today has been one of those days where I've just sat there and thought 'what have we done'.
 I know my main focus on this blog is beauty/lifestyle but I'm including this in 'lifestyle' as it's something that we all seem to feel very strongly about. Whether we voted leave or remain, one thing that is very important is that we are all entitled to our own opinions and all of our votes counted. Another important thing to note is I am not a politician, I am not an expert in this subject, just simply sharing my thoughts!
Never before have I felt this passionate about politics and if there is something to take away from this I think it's the fact that so many young people were involved and taking an interest in the future of the United Kingdom.
When I woke up this morning, I'm not going to lie I really did not expect to see headlines about David Cameron resigning and the fact that the 'leave' votes had won, perhaps I was too naive in thinking that remain would win, but in all honesty, I was shocked. It's the first time I've actually felt disappointed, upset and actually quite worried as a result of a vote. Obviously I will say, these views are entirely my own and I 100% respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter, I have friends who have voted both leave and remain all with good reason and I totally respect that!
I think in this situation it is very easy to generalise and that is something I have noticed is that a lot of people are generalising everyone who has voted to leave as 'racist' and 'xenophobic' which I don't agree with at all. The media portrayal has not helped this at all with some people being interviewed who really made my blood boil, not going to lie! For example, one woman claimed she had voted leave because of all the immigrants "taking all of the jobs and making it difficult to get one" and when asked by the reporter whether this had personally happened to her (whether an immigrant had got the job over her), she simply responded with "well I haven't tried to get a job but if I was to, I think this would happen". This is what I really struggle with, because this is such a narrow-minded view! There are so many other reasons to consider when it comes to voting in or out the EU. So many people who have come to live in the UK actually work so hard, pay their taxes and contribute to the country just as much as you or I.
I mean, this could the best decision that the UK has made, I feel like no one really knows the fate of the UK at this stage, it could be a great move, but what has upset me the most about this is more the ignorance, lack of knowledge and dated views effecting peoples' decisions. 
It’s also sad that although 72% of 18-24 year olds voted remain it feels like that wasn’t reflected and it leaves us quite fearful of the future, which we will have to live with for the next 70+ years. I didn’t vote leave because I was ‘afraid’ of life without the EU but I think it’s a shame that in the future it won't be as easy to freely live and work between the countries in the EU, which with my university course and potential post grad courses having links in the EU I think this is a big shame.
Perhaps if 16-17 year olds had got the chance to vote for their future the result would have been very different, but realistically, none of us really know what the future brings, lets just hope this was the right decision. 

E x

(Image: http://www.joe.co.uk/life/this-is-how-leaving-the-eu-is-going-to-affect-your-life-from-now-on/68925)

2 comments:

  1. I voted remain, really sad with the outcome!

    Lauren | https://huggled.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same! and I hate how people keep saying 'you lost, get over it'... like it's not a competition in that sense it's just worrying as to what is going to happen now!

      Delete